Friday, February 27, 2009

Dan the man Auerbach, rides again.


After a very enjoyable, albeit lost weekend, I came back home to my  girlfriend’s busted up computer, and my own riddled with viruses. Needless to say I've been less than eager to sit and do a review. Luckily, I've found just album to come home to. 
Dan Auerbach, of Black Keys fame, comes through this effort in a blaze of gritty rock glory, sporting a fancy new Yusaf Islam look to boot. Musically, we travel  no road not previously Google mapped before. Difference being, this time he goes not alone, or at least sans drummer producer Patrick Carney. The result, a fully fleshed out, and truly realized album. Not unlike when Jack White broke away to do the Raconteurs, but without the feeling there was a lot of ego stroking behind the scenes. This is one man's fully realized vision, with the proper accompaniment to ease him along.
It rocks, it grooves, and it swaddles me all the while, unfortunately setting the bar for the Keys on their next outing. I'd go as far as to pose the question, who's the real side project here.
Well, just wanted to get a quickie out of the way to shake the rust from my fingers. Have a couple more coming, including Woodpigeon, and the Black Lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment