Saturday, March 28, 2009

Just because your genre’s drone, doesn’t mean you have to be.

I admit I am not a huge fan of Drone and Shoegazer rock, because quite frankly, I just don’t get it. Enter the Crystal Stilts album, Alight of Night. This is their debut album, and I wanted to preview it and mention their new 2 track single, Love is a Wave.

Here’s the problem, I think musically it’s a fun dirty (unpolished) album, with inspired moments speckled throughout. The problem I have is the polarizing vocalist Brad Hargett. I feel like an old man, and I just want to sit this guy down and have a long talk with him. Damn it, if you can’t get excited about your own music, how the hell do expect me to!?

I getting tired of albums that almost dare you to like them. Listening to this was like Indie jazz; I had to imagine another (good) vocalist in order to enjoy it. I chose to use Jello Biafra’s smarmy charm and satirical edge to see me through this ordeal. What I really think this album needs is a Banjo. No one can continuously mope and mumble with a banjo about.

Ultimately, this album is defiantly enjoyable, but only in short bursts. Upon relistening and further in depth review, I found plenty more to like. I even noticed at times the Crystal Stilts making an attempt to cheer the lead singer up by adding a tamborine on The Sinking, which is like a banjo on an installment plan. Also, overuse of the echo machine gets tiresome after a while, especially after just re-listening to Fleet Foxes last week.

I highly recommend checking out the track, Love is a Wave from their new single of the same name, downloadable courtesy of Slumberland Records. Brad sounds like he starting to come around. We’ll keep him in our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment