Monday, April 13, 2009

Black Dice get 7 sided

black_dice The new album Repo by the Black Dice is a return of the DJ influenced dance and break beats inspired electronica, laced with a steady helping of modern experimental rock. Admittedly they have a sound not treaded lightly, as their MetaCritic score has me at odds here with the populace, but I am no stranger to having tastes against the grain.

The majority, especially at the front end, is quite fun, and has had me doing my stationary dance all week long. This is the same dance I reserve for live concerts where I bob my head slightly and pat my upper thigh to, what I believe to be, the beat. The later half of Repo seems to lose momentum, and grow stale.

Tracks like Nite Creme, and Ten Inches are laden with short interjections of Industrial riffs reminiscent of old Ministry albums, but with hooks I can groove to. La Cucaracha reminds me a bit of The Avalanches with the interjections of spliced sound clips, and looped randomness.

Most songs show growth and, although the tend to wander aimlessly, never stagnate too long for my ADD. Like the weather, if you don’t like it, wait. Most Black Dice fans may hear a lot of the “same old”, needless to say I am accepting the good with the bad on this album. Although Repo doesn’t answer any questions, or fill any holes in my collection, I have no problem disagreeing with the mass consensus if it means enjoying a new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment